34
As i've probably mentioned in my blog entries not too long ago,
i've embarked on a new relationship, with myself.
I started writing in my diary again, just jotting down my thoughts, being aware of my own feelings.
I suppose it is like talking or getting to know somebody new.
I was talking to myself, and getting to know myself better.
What i liked, what i disliked.
What ticks me off, what makes me smile.
Then came yesterday evening.
I was leisurely flipping through the newspapers when I saw a segment listing the various arts events in Singapore. Exhibitions, galleries, theatricality, dance performances, you name it.
It caught my eye and this whole sense of curiosity and excitement started rushing through me.
It has been a long long time since I went to these artsy fartsy events.
If you all have been here long enough, you should probably know that I love arts.
I may not be the best artist, but i genuinely appreciate paintings, dances, music, everything that is almost incomprehensible.
The thing about arts is that most of the time the idea/concept behind the piece of work is usually so abstract that people can't quite understand it.
And that's precisely what i love about it.
I love how a piece of art can be so intriguing that people often stand and stare at it so hard, with their head cocked to the left trying to grasp why the artist created the piece of art.
After seeing the list of events, I went through my contacts and tried sifting through my friends for people that may actually be interested in going these places with me.
I've been hanging out with Nise and Justin lately so obviously I went for them first, but then again I thought well maybe they may not be exactly into these stuff...
Just at that moment, it hit me.
Why do i find the need to go with somebody?
Couldn't I just visit the galleries myself?
Oh wait a min, I've never actually been out on a proper date with myself have I?
Holy moly.
It was then and there that I decided it was time to start exploring Singapore and wherever i want to go by myself.
The next day, I woke up and literally planned what to do and where to go just as how I did when I was planning dates in the past. I picked my clothes, dressed up, and even put on a little make up and headed out of the door.
It felt good to know that all that i'm doing is really just for me.
the make up, the clothes, even the places i'm going to is solely for me and my own enjoyment.
it wasn't for anybody else.
I couldn't recall when was the last time I actually felt like that.
When I placed myself as the priority of my life.
Anyway, so i brought myself out and i've decided to name all my trips under a segment called
Elfie Travels: Singapore
although Elfie isn't exactly travelling with me...
I visited an exhibition called "Modern Love" in Laselle.
It wasn't exactly what I imagined and I got the catalogue only after I was done walking around so it wasn't really something i understood??
but as i mentioned before, it is precisely because it's so difficult to interpret that makes it interesting, for me at least.
Had a quick dinner with Ethan (ogl) last night and then called Nise out for an impromptu Hot Chocolate session with Nise.
Hot chocolate and Brownies.
It felt great to be out sitting on a seesaw at 10pm at night just talking about life with The Nise.
Ok sorry bad joke.
But yknow, it struck me how lucky I am to be unemployed/on holiday actually as not everyone gets to have the luxury of as much free time as I do.
I might as well make the best of it.
(:
As for today, I went for a Dance Appreciation 101 talk by Tay Weiliang at Bishan Library which i signed up for like last month or something.
I had no idea what was in for me, all I knew was i had free time and I wanted to dabble around in the Singapore Arts industry so I registered myself.
And ohmygosh, I discovered that not only was Weiliang
1) An amazing dancer/choreographer
2) An SA alumnus
3) He was one of the guest performers in Rapture 2014 for Ms Wee's item with T.H.E (The Human Expression) Dance Company.
I remember looking at them perform at backstage and being just amazed/enthralled/blown away by their performance and techniques.
I was almost star-strucked.
Except that he was having a conversation with me and just gushing over how it's a small world and i'm his junior junior junior...junior, and talking to me about learning from Zaki and NUS dance ensemble etc etc.
Basically I was in no position to be star strucked cause i needed to converse.
Did i also mention that he was the solo dancer during NDP last year?
"Everyone is born a dancer."
Another discovery I made this week is how it's almost impossible for me to go on a sugar free diet.
I am very serious about this.
I wouldn't say it's impossible because I believe that when there's a will, there's a way.
But in all honesty I simply do not have the will to deprive myself of my desserts.
When i decided that it was time for a change, about 3 days ago, not only did i find myself not keeping to my "healthy eating plan", I was having desserts more than once every day.
For instance I had a crossiant, hotchocolate and brownies last night.
and then today I had like 5 cookies and a fantabulous slice of cake that my aunt made.
awesome awesome cake by my aunt.
I guess i'm really lucky to be a vegetarian, so i've a generally low fat diet that allows me to indulge in desserts.
Also, keeping fit is perhaps not a hobby but a necessity for me given my high sugar diet.
I do however see that this is an unsustainable way of living in the long run unless i want to have diabetes...
but as for now,