02 03 Seeing life from the other end.: Finding January. 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Finding January.

34 January 2015 has been an amazing month.

It was a month filled with new experiences and I suppose I would call it the month of exploration and enrichment for none other than myself.

But before i go into that, I need to put this out there into the virtual world.

Mille Crepe Cake by yours truly.
The baking class at Chantilly Culinary School was fantaaaaaaaaastic.
I know I need to stop throwing words like "awesome", "great" and "amazing" around before they start losing it's meaning but I had a really wonderful experience at class yesterday.

Needless to say, I was the youngest in the studio and baking in a real actual kitchen was a tad intimidating.
Then again, the studio/kitchen this time round's a lot more cosy and homey as compared to the actual chef kitchen that I went to in my first baking class two years ago.

Honestly speaking, I actually belittled this cake before I signed up for class.
I've watched plenty of youtube tutorials and they all show the same thing:
Make the batter, fry some crepes, stack them up with cream in between and Volia!

How hard does that sound right?

Not very hard but in reality,
ohmymama this cake is NOT a piece of cake.

(;

Okay no seriously.
The batter itself needs 6 hours to rest and rise,
and then the crepes themselves have to be paper thin which means you gotta flip that darn thing with your bare hands just seconds after they hit the pan.
DID I MENTION THAT THE PAN HAS TO BE SIZZLING HOT
aka 180 degrees.

Every flip i made is followed by an "ouch" and a slight hop.

But I wasn't the only hopping around, the adults around me do it too so I knew I wasn't being a whiny kid.

those crepes burn.

the assembly part later on however is pretty alright, just a little tedious.
and then i got to use an actual blowtorch to caramelize the top of the cake which was PHENOMENAL.

I was a legit kid in awe.

But it was kinda scary since it's a freaking blowtorch.
Think Bunsen burner but in portable lighter form.
My teacher said that some guy actually set the turntable on fire the last lesson.

I never knew baking could be dangerous.


Was it all worth it?
You bet.

This cake is going on my specialty list.
But the fact that it's so tedious to make also means that it's gonna be one of those occasional cakes.
the "you better be worth 9 hours of my life" kind of cake.

After all, Time's the greatest gift you can give anybody.
cliche but truth.

Also, i've decided that iphones really do have the best camera quality.
my sony is nowhere near comparable.
:'(

Anyway I was bored so I decided to make this little vlog thingy of class so here you go.
*grins*

Don't you guys love how I just shamelessly upload low quality stuff on the internet.
low quality but high in substance alright.

Okay i'm done with my cake rave.

Back to talking about Jan 2015.

As I mentioned before, this month's really about knowing myself better.
and y'know just taking good care of myself.

I'm glad to say that I managed to do so and though there were one or two slips and falls along the way,
all is fine.

For the upcoming month of Feb,
I'm thinking of starting on small projects and really completing them.

If there's a tagline for me, it would be "Incompleter".

I've always planned out big stuff but found myself stuck in a pile of unfinished business later on.

Short projects are fine for me but anything longer than a day is just "ughhhhhhhhhhhhh" for the impatient me.

Which is a very bad habit.

and also why i'm resolving it next month.

I'm pretty excited for it!
Am planning to redo my entire room, find a job and (maybe) get started on yoga classes.

Cheers to a new month of 29 days.



Finding January:
a month where I delved deep to find what makes me, me.

ciao. 35 36 37 38