“All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
I love the little prince.
It is such an easy complex read that never fails to send me into a late night thinking session in bed.
Within the simple story lie many bits and pieces of life lessons that I am still trying to pick up.
It is a wonderful piece of literature that I wish I can discuss and analyse in depth with the help of the best lit teacher ever, Ms Soh.
But she has enough work on her hand so I wouldn't want to trouble her with it, knowing that she will help me do an analysis on the book just because she's that nice.
So here I am still struggling to grasp the themes and larger significance of the book.
I visited the Little Prince exhibition last Sunday at the Fullerton Hotel.
If you guys are keen, it's open till May 31 2015.
The exhibition is pretty small, but it featured the rough skeleton of the book with all of the characters in it.
My take on the book so far (and please do share your take on it with me too) is that it discusses the delicacy and beauty of childhood.
Delicacy because one's child like innocence can easily be lost over the years as one grows up and as we age, we often lose sight of the simple happy things in life.
It is easy to forget what it feels like to be a child.
But there is a kid in all of us, buried under the years of knowledge, hurt and pollution from the world.
Then there's the beauty of childhood- the innocence, the genuineness that they have towards things that matter to them.
How little it takes to make them happy,
and
how happy they can be to love something so little.