34
HI, IT'S BEEN A WHILE.
a pretty long while actually.
The past week has been a rather life-changing/eventful one.
Entered NTU as a freshie and started life in the hall.
I'm really thankful for the help of my family, particularly the help of my aunts.
They transformed what was a almost unliveable (in my terms) room into something that was homey, even for a day.
Right I guess this blog entry needs some context before you guys get all blurred up and confused.
Basically I was posted to one of the oldest blocks in the oldest hall of NTU, Hall 1.
If there's one thing about me and my living conditions, know that I'm completely okay with not living with aircon but i'm intolerant to dust and grime and stench.
I've grown up in a speckless home which is mopped and cleaned every day by my mummy.
The knowledge of her scrupulous cleaning made rolling on the floors of my house a clean business.
Basically, I am unknowingly a clean freak.
The room in Blk 13 was a mess so my aunts helped me cleaned/bleached the whole place and they saved my ass.
Without their help I really wouldn't have been able to sleep in the room.
After they went off, hall camp started the next day.
I lost track of the days so I'm just gonna breeze through the more significant events that I can recall.
I was posted to the Chipmunks OG and the people there were really nice (both freshies and seniors).
Luckily for me, there were a couple of seniors from SA in here too so that helped with familiarising myself with the place.
I'm not gonna go into detail but the camp really challenged my limits.
It wasn't a "wth this is inhumane" kind of challenge but more of the "i'm never ever gonna be doing this if i'm not in camp".
That being said, the seniors are really nice and as a freshie, just remember that you always have the right to say 'no' to anything you feel uncomfortable with.
No one can force you to do it, nor will they.
So just play along, challenge yourself to grow in your level of tolerance and to expand your heart and mind when you meet a whole new range of people.
We pretty much looked like zombies.
Zombies who got in a gory fight with fishes.
On Day 2, there was a sudden announcement that the freshies in blk 13 could move rooms down to other blks.
Upon hearing the news I was honestly pretty "UGHH" because as much as I disliked blk 13 and it's dirtiness, I've kinda settled in.
Dealing with change is not my forte.
I was pretty grumpy with the lack of sleep (i slept 11-12 hours a day during the holidays) so I had no idea how I was to move everything in my dorm into another room that HAS NOT BEEN CLEANED.
It was frustrating.
But for the sake of my safety for the next 1 year, I figured it's better to move to a populated area so Nise and I did that.
I couldn't do it on my own so some of the guys from my OG came down to help me move the heavy stuff and I'm really really grateful for their help.
They had to go up and down the hill multiple times to carry my endless amount of stuff.
Thanks Ivan and Michael!!!!
Honestly, it was really heartwarming to see how people we barely knew lending a hand to their newly made friends. The people in my OG are really helpful and I guess that really helped me feel more "at home".
The knowledge that you can rely on people for help is comforting in times of change.
POOL DAY!
As for now, Hall FOC 2015/2016 has officially ended and a new week of orientation is about to start.
I woke up early this morning, cleaned the room, ate some breakfast, churned out this blog entry and Nise Ho is still asleep.
Shout out to my roomie Nise ho, because without her I would have just packed my bags and left for home on Day 0.
The philosophy that Hall 1 lives by is that
"People bond best not through fun and laughter but through going shit together."
That makes sense.
Okay, off to wake the roomie up and prep for orientation!
Thanks for dropping by, have a great day ahead.