34
I woke up to the sound of my parents quarrelling at 5 o'clock this morning.
My attempts to mediate between them however, turned quickly into a mess of exasperation and frustration.
How is it even possible for one to muster enough energy to get mad at another in the morning?
Y'know how it is-
you see your parents fight, quarrel, throw glares as sharp as daggers at each other, and you wonder-
why did they even get together?
And whenever they engage in a banter, i've learnt that no measures of intervention on my part can help.
Because every couple will encounter moments of displeasure and the question "Why did I marry your father?!?!" will turn up once in awhile, more frequent for some, but at the end of it all, you've to realise that you don't have the answers and only they can answer it for themselves.
So I left them alone.
I didn't go back to sleep, but sat around eating breakfast by the table in silence as I watched my dad sip on his tea, deep in thought.
My mum changed into her running clothes and went out for her morning run at 6am.
At 7am, I decided that I needed coffee because 5 hours of sleep is almost inhumane for my physical and mental health. So I told my dad I was heading out to grab a cup, to which he replied, "Okay, get a cup for mummy too."
And when I asked what about himself, he went on to say, "It's okay, I'll share with her."
That's when I figured, everything's gonna be okay.
The thing is, everyone has bad days and tired moments, when they are running low on energy, when they stay up late to finish their work, when the house is under a crazy renovation and you don't have access to most of your belongings because they are wrapped up in coils of clingfilm...
But through it all, I think it's important that we/they have faith that everything will be fine and to be each other's pillar of support.
To choose love, even when your head is clouded with dust and a lack of sleep.
So out I went, and after an intense session of studying the coffee menu, I got a cup of creme brulee iced latte, a mocachinno and a latte. The barista was an absolute joy- she was brimming with so much positivity and happiness creating drinks for people who were barely awake, it became infectious. Every customer was left happy and contented with their dose of morning crack.
When I got home, lo' and behold, all is back to normal.
Mummy is back, possibly with endorphins (the happy chemical) running in her blood stream.
And the both of them sat in the kitchen with their coffees to talk about whatever parents/adults talk about while I retreated here.
It's pretty fascinating what a morning run and two cups of coffee can do to two people-
how it can change a bad start to the day, 180 degrees around.
Speaking of which, I've been up for about 4 and a half hours now and I think the caffeine's going away which is really quite pathetic since I've never been one for coffee, nor am I usually a person who functions with less than 8 hours of sleep. I've no idea how I am to survive but I hope i do.
Have a great tuesday ahead folks,
and I hope you're not just surviving but maybe living too.