02 03 Seeing life from the other end.: Confessions of a potential racist. 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Confessions of a potential racist.

34 I'm afraid that I stick to stereotypes and discriminate against people.
As much as I hate to and am trying to change it.

I'm currently in the midst of a self-initiated project that requires me to interview or converse with the migrant workers in Singapore.
There's some construction work ongoing in my neighbourhood so garnering an audience should be a breeze.

However, every time I walk past them or try to approach one of them,
I can't bring myself to speak.

There's something about initiating a conversation with a stranger that intimidates me.
Funny thing is, this doesn't apply when I'm making casual talk with the aunties who help to clean my hall, or the waiter/waitresses in cafes.

I haven't figured if it's just my irrational prejudice against certain groups of men because I've been brought up and told time and time again not to talk to strangers, or if this irrational fear has been supported by the countless news of harassment that I have read.

I know that having prejudice is wrong.

Not all men are horrible, not everyone is out to harm you.

But it's hard to differentiate sometimes and as much as I don't want to, I still fear.

I'm hoping really hard that I'm not unknowingly a racist because that would be quite devastating.

I need to speak to them and I'm praying hard that by expelling out all these thoughts over here,
I will garner enough courage to rid myself of the prejudice and finally interview one of these migrant workers.

In the words of Cinderella, have courage and be kind.



So here I am, confessing to the virtual world that I may be involuntarily stereotyping and discriminating against others in my daily life. And I would like to change that.

I hope you guys are better human beings than me and are not doing the same thing.



On a brighter note of Hanjing's self-evaluation list, I've fulfilled my mission as a Santa for my Kid.
This is a non-profit charity initiative called Be MySanta where underprivileged kids in Singapore get paired with volunteers who will be their Santa(s)!


I really believe that Christmas is a time of gifting and sharing not just to our loved ones but to those who are less fortunate as well, simply because... why not?

The world needs more joy, love and positivity and if my gift can bring this child some joy, I would be more than willing to do so.

That being said, there wasn't much information given to me on the child's profile so I'm really hoping that whatever I picked for him will be to his liking!!!
*cross fingers reaaaal tight*

Also, Innisfree has the best member rebates/deals ever.
Just restocked on my skincare products.
Mugging has been detrimental to the face, unfortunately.

35 36 37 38