Really excited to be in the air again and be going overseas with the entire family - including the brother this time round.
Been pretty occupied the last few days, getting tons of stuff done (Y)
Except packing my luggage, i'm a true blue procrastinator at that.
Went to watch Swan Lake performed by The Singapore Dance Theatre with Madeline last Friday.
The ballet performance was in Esplanade, so we had dinner at Nomvnom (raffles place) and walked over to the theatre.
Standing there in the open, surrounded by the many sparkling beams and rays of light, the city line took my breath away.
Since young, I've always dreaded the city and longed for the earthliness of the countryside.
I yearned for land to plant things, for forests to have picnics in.
I dreamt of the towns in fairytales, where every one is close to nature.
While I was standing by the sidewalk right beside the Fullerton Hotel on that Friday evening, I fell in love with the city.
I know darn well that dark secrets underlie the magnificence of the city, that there is much cruelty behind it. But in that moment, I can not deny that the lights are brimming with possibilities and hopes for a better future.
I tasted the beauty of the city for the first time that day.
 |
| Swan Lake |
On Sunday night, I met up with my tutorial mates from Uni.
Introduced them to Real Food at Clarke Quay, which is officially my favourite veg cafe of all time.
The food never gets too
gelat (sickening in Singlish) yet it fills me up nicely and for long.
The service at the CQ outlet is great too and I've never needed to wait too long for the food to be served.
 |
| Portobello Mushroom Burger, $14.80 |
I've been wanting to try the portobello mushroom burger for quite awhile now, it has always been sold out when I go over in the evenings.
The bun itself was crisp on the outside while soft and fluffy inside, and stacked in between was a slab of portobello mushroom, fried to perfection.
It had a good crunch and crisp without dreaded oil and was juicy inside just as a mushroom would be.
This was complemented with the lettuce, tomatoes and a good dose of tangy tartar.
The potato salad by the side was great as well.
I can't figure out what it is that makes it so delicious but I could eat that stuff all day.
The price is definitely quite steep but I think it's worth it for fair trade and healthy food.
Personally, I think that it is perfectly reasonable to pay a bit more if it means that the people involved in producing the good are receiving better labour treatment.
Might as well save on the cheap stuff that promotes unjust human labour and save up for things that promote a good cause.
That's just my take on it.